So... Really... How WAS Your Date?
  • The stories continue here!
  • Date report: DZ with Researcher Guy

Outfit: Black silk blouse, black short flowy skirt, tights and black knee-high boots, silver necklace and Phd-ring & wine red nails.

The date: We were meant to go for drinks, but he had scouted around and realized it was quite crowded everywhere, so we went for coffee instead. He lead me to a table, asked what I wanted and then let me sit down while he ordered, paid for and brought our hot drinks to our table.

He beat me to it and finished the date first (after one hour).

Impressions: I think he was very, very nervous. He seemed nice but I didn't feel an immediate spark. We had a good conversation though.

He didn't even give me a hug when we parted but I guess this could be because he was nervous.

I have no idea if he will ask to see me again.
  • At least, I think it was very good for me to have at least one date after Robin.
  • It's just the *first* date after Robin. There will be many more. I promise! :)
  • Everything I post triple or double posts, I have no idea why?
    Post edited by Vee at 2013-02-22 14:25:41
  • Thanks Dora!:)

Mystery Guy has also asked to see me, so hopefully that will result in another date soon.
  • Nice to see a date report from you Vee! Black silk blouse sounds beautiful :-)
  • Thanks freya!:)
  • DZ with Mystery Guy:

Outfit: Brown short flowy skirt, black knee-high boots, black v-neck long-sleeved t-shirt, silver necklace and ring (and red nails).

The date: We went for coffee. He did not pay.

Impressions: I think he is a great guy, but not for me. It was nice talking to him, but there was something off ... He has a great job and exercises a lot, very good on paper, but ... He repeatedly used "recycling" when he meant "references". Very confusing at first, before I figured out what he meant. There was no immediate spark.

He asked if I wanted to see him again, I said sure but I don't know ...
  • Your outfit sounds great. I'm not too sure about Mystery Guy though. Using the wrong word all the time would drive me nuts and I know I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to keep correcting him.

Even in gender-equal Sweden you'd think the guy would pay for coffee, at least on the first date. I'm a bit disappointed by him.

What about Philosophy Guy? Is he still around?

• I say no to Mystery Guy. If he's not fun to be with & he doesn't pay, why bother? He should at least contribute of of those.
  • Thanks Blazes and Dora!

Yes, it is quite common for guys to pay on a first date.

Philosophy Guy is still around, but has not asked me on a date.
    Post edited by Vee at 2013-02-26 13:07:12
  • He repeatedly used "recycling" when he meant "references".

? What swedish words are we talking about here?

Wonder if he's had a burn-out or if he's had a stroke?
  • Were those the only words he interchanged? If so that's extra strange...
  • freya said:

He repeatedly used "recycling" when he meant "references".

? What swedish words are we talking about here?

Wonder if he's had a burn-out or if he's had a stroke?

"Källsortering" versus "källförteckning". I think it was just a mix-up, he seemed quite childish ...
  • freya said:

Were those the only words he interchanged? If so that's extra strange...

Yes.
  • Still strange!
  • Yes, the context was quite strange too. When he found out that I was a lawyer, he asked me if I worked with the control of recycling???

Later, I realized he meant did I check references in students' theses ...
  • Could he have thought he was being funny? :O

• Meanwhile, I've only gotten 7 visitors to my page during the last 3 days, no messages, no winks. Since wine guy I haven't gotten any messages.
  • Hee @ interchanged swedish words!

Sigh overall :|
  • freya said:

Could he have thought he was being funny? :O

No:)
  • > He repeatedly used "recycling" when he meant "references

That's just weird. Even though your language is different those are common enough words.... and the fact he did it more than once and they don't even mean the same thing at all- weird.

Just the fact that you had to call him "mystery guy" - I kind of suspected he might be off.
  • OK this sounds like a Steven Write joke but it's true.
  • I had a lobster one time who's screen name was Mr. Obscure.
  • I never saw him.
  • long interesting emails, never asked to meet. Or even to talk on phone.
  • Splenda said:

I had a lobster one time who's screen name was Mr. Obscure.

LOL! At least he gave a clue:)
  • freya said:

Meanwhile, I've only gotten 7 visitors to my page during the last 3 days, no messages, no winks. Since wine guy I haven't gotten any messages.

:( I know this is not strictly rulesy, but how do you feel about looking at men's pages (and then hope they will approach you)?
  • I do that sometimes, but normally nothing comes out of that either...

I got a message from a guy today, he made a good first impression, but he's shorter than me, only by one centimeter - but I'm short! I'm thinking I should meet him anyway since he seems interesting (so far) but it's hard to imagine it leading to something.
  • Ya never know!

ANd of course, you could aways meet someone on the way to the bathroom!
  • Meet him! We need more date reports:)

Seriously though, Riley and Glinda are right. We both need to get out there and date!
  • Ok, I will if he writes me again. :-)

I see Glinda's comment, but no comment from Riley? Is there a comment that I'm missing?
  • No but riley in general is in favor of getting out there with most guys who ask for a date :)
  • Date report: DZ with Bank Guy

Outfit: Grey-blue silk shirt, black cardigan, short black flowy skirt, patterned black tights, knee-high boots, silver necklace, ring & watch (black leather and silver-coloured metal). Red nails:)

The date: We went for coffee/hot chocolate. He insisted on paying (in a nice way).

Impressions: He seems like a great guy, but perhaps a little risk-adverse. Also, and this lies entirely with me, I think he looked old. He is six years older than me. He looked good though. Am I the only one having this problem?

(Mystery Guy seemed childish to me. Is there no happy medium?:))

At the end of the date, he gave me a hug and said to me to be in touch if I wanted to see him again. I got the impression he definitely wanted to see me again.

As a side-note, VeeCity is very small. Turns out he knows a person who is a potential future boss for me if I ever go back to academia (who I sort of know also, but more on an acquaintance level).
  • I like the sound of him, Vee.

When you say you think he looks old do you mean he looks older than he is, or just that people who are 6 years older than you look older in general?

If it was me I think I'd risk another date. Even if you're not feeling any spark it's good to get out. I'd get in touch and see what sort of date he can come up with.
  • Thanks Blazes! I think I look younger than my age (or I'm just vain); Robin did also. So I think I look a lot younger than Bank Guy. I don't think he looked older than his age. This is probably something I need to work on.
  • Oh and by the way: with the job Mystery Guy has, he could totally have afforded to pay for coffee.:)
  • At the end of the date, he gave me a hug and said to me to be in touch if I wanted to see him again..

Bleagh. Sorry, but what the hell is it with all the candy-asses lately? (Lately = the last ten years or so)
  • Oh, he was very nice about it. He said I might want some time to think of it.

I did not get the impression that he wanted me to ask him on a date, rather to just let him know I wanted to see him again.
  • Bank guy sounds good! Is it a problem that he looks old, if he looks good? Plus you'd be the hot young girlfriend :-)
  • I would not let the potential boss issue be an issue right now. Lets face it most guys we meet don't get past 2-4 dates so it would not even be on the table as issue until way later. Did you mention you know this boss person? If he doesn't know you know that person it's not likely he's going to just randomly blurt out one day "Hey I went on a date Jane Smith but it didn't work out".
  • Because if he didn't know you knew that person why would he mention it.
  • Splenda said:

Because if he didn't know you knew that person why would he mention it.

He asked and I didn't want to lie, so he knows.
  • Oh, still I don't see how just another date or 2 would hurt anything to see if there could be something there. Just don't give him anything juicy to talk about , I know you wouldn't. It's not like he's going to say, hey that Jane's a wild woman she broke out the whips and chains on the 2nd date!
  • LOL Splenda! That would indeed be something to talk about:)
  • I may be spoiled via my crazy dating scedule and "reject"-manner..
    today this judgement was "executed" on me though..
    I had a D0 with an OLD Guy..

and we did meet at a place where there are plenty of nice bars and restaurants ..
    prior to that we did leave it open if we would choose having a drink or having dinner -
    both options were eligible, since we did meet up at 7 in the afternoon.

We meet each other.. greet and he asks immediately..
    so which bar shall we hit for a drink?

Lol.. that was the quickest NO ever!
    I have to keep that in mind and copy it. No fuzz.. indeed very clever and witty.

The drink was nice.. he did pay for it.. we had some laughs..
    his only "foul" in my opinion was not keeping it clearly honest and hinting
    at meeting up again sometime (totally unnecessary since there was no attraction)..

actually I do not feel bad being rejected -
    I did a body-language study on him.. since I am into that stuff lately..
    he had no diluted pupils.. he was not leaning towards me but did sit rather
    relaxed in his chair.. he did sit most of the times cross-legged and not in this
    manly manner where they expose their "privates" and there was no up-grade for dinner ;-)

Post edited by Butterfly at 2013-03-03 19:02:48
  • good attitude. I don't know if no dinner offer when he lays eyes on you means 100% rejection but I know what you mean.
  • SciFi and I saw the West End musical "rock of Ages." It's a little bit different from the movie but still good. We were contemplating if anyone will try to make a musical out of 90s music. But I think the music industry got too segmented by then. Not to mention that the 80s had more anthem like songs.
  • Hello ladies - I am not dating anyone right now. Well, actually, I like to think of it as "I am dating myself". :-) I have been trying different Meet-Up events though. I was thinking maybe I could report on them here, like dates.